Very nice, clean work as always. Have you tried 'blacken-it' for things like the chain? I've found it doesn't work with all PE parts as it only reacts with certain metals, but those that it does work with it gives a good effect.

7 hours ago, fortyfourpm said:

Very nice, clean work as always. Have you tried 'blacken-it' for things like the chain? I've found it doesn't work with all PE parts as it only reacts with certain metals, but those that it does work with it gives a good effect.

Never heard of the stuff, do you have a link for it?

Nice! I will have a look for it as it looks like it could come in handy

What a lovely lady she is isn't it?!

Everything is just spot on! Perfect and fault less! :D 

• Like 1

Hi Imster,

What a beautiful model!! Looks absolutely stunning. Great work!

Since I'm about to start building this kit, I wonder what color you used for the engine block (the goldish color)?

Regards,

//Paul

7 hours ago, baggen said:

Hi Imster,

What a beautiful model!! Looks absolutely stunning. Great work!

Since I'm about to start building this kit, I wonder what color you used for the engine block (the goldish color)?

Regards,

//Paul

Hi Paul,

The ‘gold’ coloured parts of the engine were actually a mix of Alclad Pale Gold and Alclad Pale Burnt Metal, I mixed them roughly 50:50

Also for anyone interested, this build will feature very soon in Tamiya Model Magazine International. I have just done the finishing touches to the write up and will be submitted, further info will be posted if necessary

6 minutes ago, imster said:

Also for anyone interested, this build will feature very soon in Tamiya Model Magazine International. I have just done the finishing touches to the write up and will be submitted, further info will be posted if necessary

Wow! That's great news! Can't wait to get my hands on that issue.

//Paul 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 11:41 PM, baggen said:

Wow! That's great news! Can't wait to get my hands on that issue.

//Paul 

Thanks Paul, I should be more regularly featured towards the latter part of 2019 with more oob builds and new kit builds. In the meantime I am working on the article for my 1/20 Lotus 49 build

20 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

I'll be looking out for that too :D

I've finally got all my detailing kits for my RC166 hopefully this year I'll get round to it. 

Good news man, this kit is probably my favourite of all the kits I've built, I'm sure you will love it and judging by your work you will make it into a masterpiece

I'm not so confident in my work as you mate, but I'll give it my best shot 👍  Got a few other builds in front on the RC166 hopefully starting in the the next week or so.  

On 1/30/2019 at 2:23 PM, imster said:

Hi Paul,

The ‘gold’ coloured parts of the engine were actually a mix of Alclad Pale Gold and Alclad Pale Burnt Metal, I mixed them roughly 50:50

Hello Imster, I'm on the point to start this kit.... about the gold engine color.... I have both the alclad but pale burnt metal doesn't seem  dark enough  .... and pale gold too....

I also have copper and bronze which probaly mixed with gold could do the job....

On 3/5/2019 at 10:01 PM, andrew59it said:

Hello Imster, I'm on the point to start this kit.... about the gold engine color.... I have both the alclad but pale burnt metal doesn't seem  dark enough  .... and pale gold too....

I also have copper and bronze which probaly mixed with gold could do the job....

Yes you should give it a try and see how it looks, I think be careful with the copper though as it might at a rose tint to the overall colour

On 7/5/2016 at 6:32 AM, imster said:

So the engine is complete most of the pics didnt come out right so later on I will put up some close up pics. I think I got the colour correct, possibly a little too goldy but overall I'm happy with the colour match.

I built the Hobby Design PE engine set (the engine cooling fins), it wasnt easy especially to get everything lined up perfectly, I did manage to complete it but after comparing it with the plastic pieces there were a couple of problems, first of all the height of the Hobby Design parts were smaller in height compared to the kit pieces and secondly the plastic pieces looked alot better than the metal Hobby Design, here are the pics:

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

I pretty much replaced all the connection points with metal piping and securing nuts just to add realism, as an example I fabricated the throttle linkage you can see in the next couple of pics, also on 1:1 version, directly opposite the throttle linkage is a nut with a washer which I added as the kit didnt have these:

IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5256.JPG

And here you can see the throttle part completed with paint and bolts etc, I tried a new technique to try to get some texture into the goldish parts of the engine, it came out well but not sure if theres any point to it as its hard to see with the naked eye:

DSC03904.JPG

Close up of the clutch which is a detail up part from Tamiya

DSC03893.JPG

Carbs rail, I used BMF for the metal wiring around the rubber hoses that connect between each intake section. Based on lots of reference pics I see that the actual intake trumpets were whitish/yellow in colour and most likely made of resin, so rather than use the aluminum turned trumpets supplied by Tamiya in the detail up set I used the standard kit parts and mixed them a yellowy/white colour (for some reason the pics show up almost greenish, but in the flesh they are yellowish).

DSC03885.JPG

DSC03884.JPG

And finally completed with a light wash to finish it off:

DSC03907.JPG

DSC03906.JPG

What did you use to paint for the valve covers and side cases, 

10 hours ago, kuya said:

What did you use to paint for the valve covers and side cases, 

You mean the silver parts? I'm pretty sure they were painted Alclad Aluminum

11 hours ago, imster said:

You mean the silver parts? I'm pretty sure they were painted Alclad Aluminum

I think he means the same question of mine.... the gold ones....

11 hours ago, andrew59it said:

I think he means the same question of mine.... the gold ones....

Ahh ok: The ‘gold’ coloured parts of the engine were actually a mix of Alclad Pale Gold and Alclad Pale Burnt Metal, I mixed them roughly 50:50

• Like 1

Really sweet build Imster

Well done on this one - did you have reference pics for this build.

Cheers

John