Flipper

1/144 Revell Airbus A350 Cathay Pacific

Whilst I'm waiting on more white arriving, I've made a start to the engines. Here's the inside of the engines all built up. The blades are so so fragile, and they do turn in the housing.
D17E6B43-8D11-400F-BC26-079CF0BB4622_zps

6E93F8F7-C02B-45E3-9B2D-714C4891AFFE_zps

• Like 1

Hi folks, now on with the stripe that runs the length of the plane. I thought this would be relatively easy to mark out, but it was a complete pain. First off I tried to use normal Tamiya masking tape, which gave a nice straight line, but when it came to creating the curve round the nose it just wouldn't conform to the curve.
I then bought some Tamiya Curvy tape, which although created a nice curve round the nose, it was a complete pain to get a straight line with.
Anyway I eventually managed it and laid down the top masking line.
I then cut small masking strips to act as a guide. This worked fine and the bottom line was quite easy to mask up using Tamiya Curvy Tape.
80C839AF-0819-4D91-958F-67D9CF32591F_zps

I then masked it up and painted it in the blue I mentioned earlier. Although not 100% perfect I think it will do for now.
23F35A44-C1FA-4E58-B8F5-DE093A79B3D1_zps

7CF46D2C-04B5-456B-96CB-3E6C256D5FBF_zps

A2CC2A5A-6821-4909-8FE4-7336E5A75569_zps

2001F5C6-4488-4BA3-AEBF-C57580F4FC45_zps

94E83570-04D8-4BD0-BCFA-F4E1FEC92E16_zps

Anyway that's it for the moment, I hope you like the progress so far and thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Looks great Flipper. The standard tammy masking tap can curve somewhat if you pull it a bit (but not too hard or it will break). Thanks for sharing your experience with the curvy type; I haven't tried it yet. 

Maybe a stupid question but do all airliner kits come with a "gear up" stand?

• Like 1

Cheers mate, that's the first time I've used the Tamiya curve tape, and I was impressed with the fine line it achieved.

Not all of them come with a stand, only the larger aircraft kits have had them so far. I think you can buy them on eBay easily enough. A lot of guys make their own stands

Thats the decaling process now started. The decals are laser printed, which are a bit thin for my liking, but other than that they are going down fine.
I've finished all the fuselage decals but obviously I'm keeping the full thing under wraps for the moment, so here's a wee sneaky peak at a peek at it.
D951510F-9D70-466C-B5AF-8D830A4655C2_zps

Still a few other bits and pieces to do to it, but I hope you like the progress so far.

This is coming together well. The engine blades look great. Did you paint the swirl, or are they decals? What is it you are using along the panel lines? How do you think the 26decals compare to DrawDecals?

Cheers mate, the swirl is a decal that came with the original kit decals.

I'm not going to highlight the panel lines as some of them are really really faint.

Normally the decals I've had from 26decals in the past have been screenprinted and these have been great. These ones are laserprinted and are definately not up to the standard of the screenprinted ones. The are quite thin.

I've only ever had laser printed ones from DrawDecal which are very similar to the laser ones from 26decals. 

Thanks. I've seen the ones I want at DrawDecal that he says are silk printed, and some that I could make work at 26decals that are laser printed. Not sure if the silk printed ones are worth the extra cost.

I meant the TET you referred to on the joins, not the panel lines (my bad).

Cheers mate, I join the parts using TET, I then go over it with my TET plasticard mixture, which I've made quite a thick mixture. It's probably the best filler I've used with little or no shrinkage.

Thr silk screen printer ones are definately worth the extra £££

Also have a look on a site called Aviation Megastore for more decals and a lot more stuff beside.

Looks good. Thanks for the tips. Once I get my bike stuff sorted then I will look at getting an aircraft and decals for it and see what sort of mess I can make of it.

• Like 1

I just had a quick skim through this build, great result Flipper! I also like the livery used, Im a big fan of Cathay Pacific, they've been a top airline for decades now.

I also wanted to ask what is this TET mixture? I am tempted to try it out

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

The TET mixture I'm talking about is Tamiya Extra Thin (the normal stuff not the quick drying stuff), I then mix it with pieces of plasticard, once mixed it goes into a thicker version of Tamiya Extra Thin. DO NOT use sprue cut offs, it just doesn't work as well.

You can vary the thickness of the mixture by just adding more plasticard to the mixture.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2017 at 5:58 AM, Flipper said:

Cheers guys.

The TET mixture I'm talking about is Tamiya Extra Thin (the normal stuff not the quick drying stuff), I then mix it with pieces of plasticard, once mixed it goes into a thicker version of Tamiya Extra Thin. DO NOT use sprue cut offs, it just doesn't work as well.

You can vary the thickness of the mixture by just adding more plasticard to the mixture.

Thanks Flipper, I'm keen to try it out next chance I get

• Like 1