caterhamnut

Caterham R500 Race car - Custom Build - 1/12

Ok - I *think* this is a race car, although very much based on a road car!! Please feel free to move if it is better on the 'street' forum!

By the way - if something does not make sense in terms of order, it is probably because I'm replying to a question that had popped up on the original WIP....

I'm starting a number of WIP's at the same time as I need to start somewhere with uploading lots of pictures - then when I get to update the models it becomes easier to update in 'real time'!

This project started over 12 years ago!

I was inbetween jobs (briefly) and had started to dabble with Caterham models - I got my real Caterham in about 2001, hence the connection. I was tweaking existing diecasts (Kyosho 1/18) for friends, and cut a long story short, a fellow 7'ner - who raced them - got in touch and 'commissioned' models of his two race cars - but we decided to use the Tamiya 1/12 kits as a base. These are stunning in terms of detail - almost built exactly like the real car - indeed I heard that the tooling for these kits were the most expensive Tamiya had made (no ide if that is true) - but the boss had one and wanted to make a kit.

d9e5b463-c6e0-4556-aa0a-53e537d278e8.jpg

The kits are silly money now - really wish they would re-issue.

They made three - the one above, a JPE special (the luminous yellow one) and a more traditional looking car with flared wings.

DSC06514.jpg

One very cold day in 2002 I went up to Snetterton race track to have some rides and take lots of photos of the two cars, to use as reference in making the kits.

I made a good start on the kits, and was able to use the workshop at the design consultancy where I was working (after the break)

The real life took over - I got the next full time job, and time seemed to pass...until it was over a decade since I started the kits! In that time I moved a few times, and am now in New York. Ironically now that I am based in NYC, I am obviously not able to use my Caterham in the UK - and all that that 'scene' entails - so suddenly I have some more time again - so after gradually bringing all the kits over to the States each time I traveled, I now have everything over here. With more disposable income than back then, I'm getting back into modelling - got an airbrush now :) - another big difference from back then is the availability of so many 'detail' kits in terms of carbon finishes etc - the internet has made this all much easier!

So now I have started on these kits again, I thought I'd post a WIP to encourage myself to update regularly.

But first I'll cover the 'first stage' of these cars - from back in 2002-4. So the first huge set of pictures are all pretty old and of varying quality.

I'd say I had completed about 80% of the work by the time it all stopped - so now to finish them! Part of the delay was the difficulty in scratch making certain parts - I'm not a professional model maker, and do/did not have access to a full workshop - I used what I could at various times. 3D printing will help a huge amount with finishing certain details - like the carbon fibre seats - once I learn how to draw them up in Solidworks.

Ok - that is the long introduction to the build - I'll get on with uploading the stuff now!!

The Kits.

Two of the kits have the old Ford BDR engine at their heart. The JPE has the 2ltr Vauxhall engine modeled.

I need neither - both the cars i am building have k-series rover engines.

The chassis is remarkably accurate. having totally rebuilt my (real) car I can say that you build this kit in almost exactly the same way as the real thing!

Bigkitdetail.jpg

The kit has aluminium panels that fit in the same way as the 1/1 version.

3%20kits.jpg

The shows the Tamiya 1/12 chassis next to the Kyosho 1/18 car and a 1/43 model.

BigSmall1.jpg

Here is the first model I made for someone (these were not 'paid' jobs) using a Kyosho 1/18 model.

How it started:

KyoshoKit.jpg

KyoshoBits_2.jpg

How it ended up:

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Pretty crude by the standards of most on here! But every detail is like the original car, down to the tax disc...

This also required an 'engine change', from a twincam to a simple crossflow...

(original BDR below)

KyoshoEngine.jpg

Engine-Detail.jpg

BenchSeat.jpg

Right - enough of that old 1/18 stuff!!

Back to the big models....

Edited by caterhamnut@gmail.com
  • Like 1

The Real Cars!

Here are some of the photos I took to refer to.

DSC06468.jpg

DSC06435.jpg

DSC06321.jpg

DSC06413.jpg

P6090074.jpg

DSC06291.jpg

Obviously there were many pictures - I'll use them throughout the WIP to show what is being modeled.

• Like 1

These models are race cars, so no brooklands - or screens!

However, my baby....I mean my car - does have brooklands screens. Love 'em....far more effective than aeroscreens for comfy driving...just to qualify that - for a while the 7 was our only car - it is fair to say that we did slightly more miles than most - about 150,000 so far in the 10 or so years....last few have been a bit low as I am abroard. Driving now means flying back to UK for a few track days in France. Last year I flew back and drove the 7 all the way to the F1 race in Monza, via the Swiss passes....OMG heaven. Miss it.

Anyway - one day I will make a model of my car...after these of course! I'll post a few pics....

111_4598.jpg

111_4575.jpg

DSC07431.jpg

So the first 80% of this WIP will be very quick, as I'm posting pics from the past decade....then it will get a bit slower as we reach the present day!

So - in the end the only part of the kit that did not change has really been the main chassis and ali panels, suspension components and wings.

• The engine changes from a Ford BDR to a Rover K-series, complete with roller-barrels and airbox, dry sump etc
  • The race cars have full SLR roll cages and aeroscreens.
  • Different wheels/tyres.
  • Half doors
  • Carbon 'Tillet' race seats.
  • Carbon dash.
  • Hand brake! The kits have the old 'under-scuttle' style.
  • Race stickers - I'll need to draw and make decals...
  • All sorts of sensors and custom parts.

I could have kept the bonnet fixed, but I started to model the engine, and once I had started, I made the rod for my back with the level of detail I had to continue! :) And each car was different as well - different engine details, seats, dashboards and decals....

My only real machine tool was a little plastic/ali extruded machine set, which you can still get on ebay from china for about $150

This thing could be configured as a milling machine, a lathe, sanding wheel, fret saw etc etc....for my amateur needs it was awesome. I machined the engine cam cover with this, and some of the little control boxes, having initially used it on the 1/18 Kyosho.

Milling.jpg

MilledPiece.jpg

Grooves.jpg

I can't find this anywhere in any boxes back in thhe UK - so although it is pretty crude, not very accurate etc - I am still very tempted to buy a cheap one off ebay for those quick milling jobs - I'd love a proper engineering lathe and desktop milling machine - but I just can't do that out here in NYC, where I am modelling at a desk in my office at work, and bringing stuff home each night to work on the dining room table at the apartment - nothing set up permanently (a real pain!)

I had also dipped my toe into basic molding of parts - mainly as a way to duplicate the hand made bits I had fashioned, such as the new style battery or central gear tunnel cover.

The JPE version of the kit had a few more up-to-date parts i needed for my kits, such as small wing mirrors, steering wheel and 7 grill, so I tried to make molds of these to duplicate the parts....if i do the same again I may look at getting PE parts made for some things...maybe...

As I had said, the kit is almost exactly the same as the real car - I started with the chassis:

DSC06106.jpg

Chassis_2.jpg

Chassis_1.jpg

I won't go into too much text detail - this was 12 years ago :)

Yellow0.jpg

I used car spray rattle cans to paint the yellow (and the blue version) - no airbrush in those days!

Yellow9.jpg

Yellow3.jpg

Yellow5.jpg

Yellow4.jpg

Yellow7.jpg

Yellow2.jpg

DeDion.jpg

DeDion_2.jpg

Bits_1.jpg

Yellow6.jpg

Scuttle.jpg

RollingChassis_1.jpg

Racer.jpg

I built up the other chassis in the same way. I had added a few other components on these pictures, just to see what it looked like - neither car would have windscreens or those seats...

blue_3.jpg

blue_1.jpg

blue_5.jpg

blue_yellow_2.jpg

blue_yellow_1.jpg

At this point I had pretty much built all I was going to build with the kit parts - no point in building the kit engine, as I had to rebuild them.

The BDR from the kit looked like this - picture is actually of the Kyosho 1/18, but it shows the same BDR engine...

KyoshoEngine.jpg

And I had to make it look like this - twice...

DSC06401.jpg

DSC06686.jpg

DSC06687.jpg

DSC06688.jpg

I phaffed around with all sorts of finishes, added detail, took away detail, shaped the block etc etc - but the fact was that in the end you would not be able to see the block - the biggest visual difference was the cam cover....

I don't even remember the order anymore - it all got covered up...

DSC06684.jpg

Had to add engine mounts to fit.

DSC06817.jpg

DSC06816.jpg

• Like 1

Then it came to my favorite bit of the kit - the cam cover.

For this k-series version, I used my Ultimat 1 toy...I mean machine :) - to be fair, it worked very well. I machined some plasti-wood, all pretty much by eye, and I think it came out great.

Head_1.jpg

DSC06676.jpg

Added some 3D letters...

Head_2.jpg

Very relevant those, as the two cars had different ignition lead covers with different text...one of the cars was a very early R500 and it was important to model the differences - another change was that one car had 'Tillet' branded carbon seats, the other had 'Caterham' branded - but that is for later!

ForScale.jpg

In the next shot you can see I have added the dry-sump oil filler (black tower)

40d53882-dd36-4919-b048-97c697117a6d.jpg

Early test fit

DSC06782.jpg

The battery was one of the first bits I 'scratch' built.

MiniBat_1.jpg

Complete with ink-jet printed paper (didn;t know you could print decal paper in those days!)

MiniBat_3.jpg

Early Caterhams (and the kit) didn't have an extended passenger footwell, so I had to make one...

ExtraFootwell.jpg

Back to the engine - added various k-series parts - like the cam cover...

engine_2.jpg

The exhaust on an R500 is very very tightly packed! Even more on the early R500 cars, where not only was the very tight exhaust, but also a very very convoluted carbon air-intake system, consisting of carbon intakes and airbox, linked with paper tubing! After a few attempts at bending wire, I settled on very thick solder, as being easily pliable...worked well.

engine_1.jpg

engine_3.jpg

(this was all tidied up later)

Real version!

DSC06399.jpg

At one point I was able to use a corner of a workshop at the design consultancy where I worked - you can see all the photos I was working from...

my_office.jpg

I gradually started to build up the engine, wire by wire, electrical block by block....and that damn intake system that was a nightmare. Had to remake the radiator (much bigger on the R500) and the fan etc etc....

Ignition leads that went to the coil pack...

SparkPlug_1.jpg

SparkPlug_2.jpg

DSC06981.jpg

The oil catch tanks on the bulkhead are scratch made...

DSC06983.jpg

Engine_wires.jpg

Engine_oil.jpg

engine_5.jpg

engine_4.jpg

Right - bit more piping - radiator hoses...

rad_2.jpg

rad_3.jpg

DSC07076.jpg

More wires, radiator and Apollo tank (oil swirl tank in front of the cambelt cover) top rad hose and coolant expansion tank. In fact that coolant tank and the brake fluid reservoir are the only 'kit' parts in the engine bay - everything else is scratch built.

ooh yes, and the blue rag around the top of the dry-sump oil filler neck :)

Of course at the same time, I was also building the second engine for the blue car...you can see details like dry sump pump belt on this shot...

DSC07006.jpg

No Webers on these cars - had to make roller barrels...

DSC07073.jpg

DSC07083.jpg

DSC07094.jpg

Now carbon airbox that goes over the roller-barrels.

DSC07079.jpg

I was doing this model 'by-eye' - from the photos - so not able to scale much - took a few goes at this bit to make it fit and look right...

air_box_1.jpg

...but quite pleased with the result - I faked the carbon look by spraying grey primer very lightly through some fine mesh - had no idea you could get carbon fibre decals!! It works...

DSC07101.jpg

• Like 1

Meanwhile in blue-car world...

DSC08065.jpg

DSC08066.jpg

Although it had the same engine, the layout of wiring and pipes is different...

Copy20of20DSCN7139.jpg

Copy20of20DSCN7141.jpg

DSC08067.jpg

Had to make the fan on the front of the radiator. I think the round outer piece was part of a 35mm film plastic canister...

fan_2.jpg

DSC07105.jpg

You can also see the corrugated tube that makes up the intake manifolds that come up from an airscoop under the radiator (a fatal design floor on the first R500 cars - the real car this is modeled on scooped up cement dust on track from this intake that was positioned about 3 inches above the track surface - engine rebuild!)

This piping is a bitch on the real car and equally tight and tortuous on a 1/12 scale model - but its accurate ;)

DSC07178.jpg

DSC07181.jpg

I made a (much older!) Academy car as a wedding gift for an owner (from me) - didn't do the engine detail - or the decals (didn't now how to then!) - I should probably go back and touch up!!

DSCF5672.jpg

DSCF5668.jpg

DSCF5681.jpg

DSCF5677.jpg

DSCF5684.jpg

DSCF5689.jpg

DSCF5696.jpg

Right - so that was the engine bay pretty much finished...

I'll post some real/model pictures - think I got it pretty close :)

DSC06441.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7071_1.jpg

DSC06401.jpg

IMG_7069_1.jpg

DSC06400.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

DSC06416.jpg

IMG_7068.jpg

Of course not finished yet!! (those last few pics I took recently, hence the headlights etc - they come later in the WIP!)

Some more 'finished' pictures from back then...

fini_2.jpg

fini_3.jpg

And an old image I did to show what was used from the kit (the red bits)

ok - on to the next stage - roll cages.

The race cars have full SLR safety cages - the Tamiya kits come with a very poor chromed roll bar, that is way to low but what they had in Japan!

So I would have to scratch build the cages...

I took some images from the photos I had taken, and by reducing them and scaling them in front of the model by eye, I made some 'actual size 1/12' pictures. I think I measured some 'hard points' on the photos and compared to the model until it was right...

cage.jpg

To make the cage I took some black plastic tubing and inserted coat hanger wire so that I could shape the tube into the correct curves - I made some MDF templates to fold the wire around, and it actually worked really well.

DSC08144.jpg

DSC08147.jpg

DSC08145.jpg

DSC08146.jpg

DSC08151.jpg

DSC08153.jpg

DSC08154.jpg

Actually I think these cages are my fav part of the scratch built stuff, as they really make the car look like the race car - I also really like the shape of the SLR cage - the curves and the rake look really good IMO compared to the much more square Academy-type cages, where you can still use the windscreens....

DSC08157.jpg

DSC08165.jpg

DSC08180.jpg

The model cages fit in exactly the same way as the real ones - mounted at the back in the boot and at the windscreen mounts at the front. Had to make two, and they are interchangeable :)

DSC08169.jpg

DSC08166.jpg

DSC08174.jpg

DSC08171.jpg

Time for more details...

DSC06340.jpg

Switch.jpg

cut%20off_1.jpg

cut%20off_2.jpg

The front screw is where the cage mounts - model and on the real car...

cut%20off_3.jpg

Laptime sender...

sender_2.jpg

The indicators in the model are a very old style bent plate - the later cars have a more rounded shroud...

lights_1.jpg

Obviously the wheels are totally different. Kit comes with minilite-style alloys with pretty normal tyres - probably around 14-15"

R500 has 13" wheels, split rims and magnesium hubs, and ACB10 tyres - or slicks.

DSC06478.jpg

Back when I started the kit I got a friend to draw up the wheel centres in 3D CAD

wheel_2.jpg

..and used a fancy milling machine to cut some centers.

machine_1.jpg

wheel_3_1.jpg

wheel_1a.jpg

After testing in metal, we actually made them in styrene.

wheel_1.jpg

Came out great - one of the jobs I have to do now I am restarting these kits is the rest of the wheels - rims and tyres.

Not sure how yet. Probably 3D printer - maybe get some machined...we'll see.

And finally, in order to bring us up to date - the dashboard.

The plastic dash in the kit is nothing like the race car - which has a Stack dash, electrical cut-off switches and knobs etc etc - and of course each car was different.

DSC06321.jpg

So I started by cleaning all the details off the model dash.

DASH.jpg

The with the wonders of photoshop, I made some images of each dash and scaled it to the right size, stick them on the plastic dashes and started to make the detail, using wire, cut plastic tubes etc.

dash2.jpg

dash_3.jpg

dash_2.jpg

dash_1.jpg

And that, my friends, is pretty much where I had got to! One of the big hold ups was how to make the carbon race seats - they are only about 4mm thick in 1/1 scale, and rather curvy. I had no idea how I was going to make them - learn some 3D CAD and use a 3D printer - maybe now, 10 years later, the technology is more accessible.

DSC06485.jpg

The comfy - but old style seat from the kit.

8313f72b-c8b7-4ac7-bef4-ad24e52c6a1e.jpg

So now, 12 years after I started, and about 10 years since I last did anything with them, I am starting again!

Everything from now on is current work!

The big jobs are:

• The seats!
  • wheels & tyres
  • interior
  • decals - lots of race decals

I started with the dash...

• Like 3

So - this is where I started in 2015!

IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6899.jpg

...but I was not happy with that. I used some carbon decal to cover the dash after cleaning off the above detail, and re-did it with scratch parts.

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

P1080979.jpg

P1080978.jpg

I made the toggle switches by flattening some wire rod

P1080980.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

Of course two different layouts...

IMG_6921_1.jpg

Both have Stack digital dash boards...

IMG_6961.jpg

IMG_6963.jpg

IMG_6964_1.jpg

Tiny rocker switches added...

IMG_7123_1.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_6972.jpg

The 3 Tamiya kits come with two different prop shaft tunnel covers for the interior. The classic and 'BDR Special' versions come with an older version, where the central tunnel is simply a curved aluminium panel, covered in carpet - the hand brake is located under the dashboard on the passenger side - as seen on this kit.

DSCF5678.jpg

The JPE Kit comes with a squared off, leather covered tunnel top - as seen on all more recent Caterhams - which is what I need for my yellow car. However the kit version doesn't have a handbrake - which I need.

9a92ec8f-1390-4539-be1a-548abf46c9da.jpg

At the top is the aluminium tunnel in the kit - next down is the cover that comes with the JPE. I cast a copy of this and fashioned a handbrake section, complete with leather gaitor. I then used this to make another casting for use on my models - in this case just the yellow car.

fa12e1c8-a642-45c1-a4a4-0d02514fb72c.jpg

The ali topped gear lever is a sewing pin.

04f145c6-a221-4124-b22b-cb19c9565711.jpg

In situ...

IMG_6969.jpg

Blue car has powder coated ali tunnel - no hand brake, so I can use the original kit part (you can also see the different dashboard layout on this car)

DSC06285.jpg

Been cranking up the 4 year old 3D printer at work and trying a few things - not good enough to use, but may be a good base for casting something...after a lot of sanding and filling!

Turning would of course be ideal!

support plastic still on these bits....

IMG_3397.jpg

IMG_3398.jpg

with tyre

IMG_3399.jpg

With both these cars being race cars, they need the race decals...so I used the self-print decal paper for the first time.

I'm using the laser printer type - I don't like the fact you seem to have to seal the ink-jet type to stop bleeding.

First I had to recreate all the decals in photoshop, then I printed on both clear and white background laser decal paper.

IMG_6937.jpg

I've been surprised how well these go on - they really help the car to look 'race' as well...

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

Cage has scratched this one, so will replace...

IMG_7059.jpg

Top tip - don't mask off an area on the decal sheet (in order to save paper) and spray the already-printed decals with gloss coat (to seal/protect) and then feed the same sheet through the laser printer again to print on the unused part...the hot roller inside will melt the gloss coat and cause....issues!

IMG_7075.jpg

Luckily running some normal paper through the (work!) machine cleaned off the roll - lucky escape!

The race car has plastic half-doors - easily replicated with vinyl. I wrapped a wire rod along the top edge so I can shape when they are eventually fixed.

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

Just those damn seats and wheels!!

• Like 1

No actual modelling updates, but took some pictures with my new light cube :)

DSC06085.jpg

DSC06074.jpg

Note: many bits not actually fitted yet, just placed for pictures - hence poor fit of rear boot cover, for example...

DSC06059.jpg

DSC06053.jpg

DSC06046.jpg

DSC06056.jpg

• Like 2

Wow!

I build the other kit with the flared arches years ago. I'm planning a rebuild of it at some point. No-where near to the level of these though. I can see how much effort you have put into them.

Over a decade of work on this and it shows! the level of detail and additions you have put into this is on a totally different level, an amazing build Angus and I look forward to seeing this once its completed

Thanks both!

Wish I still had access to that workshop!

It's amazing how much more 'stuff' is available now (or rather my knowledge of its existence has grown I guess) - CF decals, nuts n' bolts etc etc.

Just need someone to draw me up a race seat so I can 3D print - I just don't have the time to advance my solidworks skills....

• Like 1

On 06/12/2016 at 5:43 PM, caterhamnut said:

Ok - I *think* this is a race car, although very much based on a road car!! Please feel free to move if it is better on the 'street' forum!

By the way - if something does not make sense in terms of order, it is probably because I'm replying to a question that had popped up on the original WIP....

I'm starting a number of WIP's at the same time as I need to start somewhere with uploading lots of pictures - then when I get to update the models it becomes easier to update in 'real time'!

This project started over 12 years ago!

I was inbetween jobs (briefly) and had started to dabble with Caterham models - I got my real Caterham in about 2001, hence the connection. I was tweaking existing diecasts (Kyosho 1/18) for friends, and cut a long story short, a fellow 7'ner - who raced them - got in touch and 'commissioned' models of his two race cars - but we decided to use the Tamiya 1/12 kits as a base. These are stunning in terms of detail - almost built exactly like the real car - indeed I heard that the tooling for these kits were the most expensive Tamiya had made (no ide if that is true) - but the boss had one and wanted to make a kit.

d9e5b463-c6e0-4556-aa0a-53e537d278e8.jpg

The kits are silly money now - really wish they would re-issue.

They made three - the one above, a JPE special (the luminous yellow one) and a more traditional looking car with flared wings.

DSC06514.jpg

One very cold day in 2002 I went up to Snetterton race track to have some rides and take lots of photos of the two cars, to use as reference in making the kits.

I made a good start on the kits, and was able to use the workshop at the design consultancy where I was working (after the break)

The real life took over - I got the next full time job, and time seemed to pass...until it was over a decade since I started the kits! In that time I moved a few times, and am now in New York. Ironically now that I am based in NYC, I am obviously not able to use my Caterham in the UK - and all that that 'scene' entails - so suddenly I have some more time again - so after gradually bringing all the kits over to the States each time I traveled, I now have everything over here. With more disposable income than back then, I'm getting back into modelling - got an airbrush now :) - another big difference from back then is the availability of so many 'detail' kits in terms of carbon finishes etc - the internet has made this all much easier!

So now I have started on these kits again, I thought I'd post a WIP to encourage myself to update regularly.

But first I'll cover the 'first stage' of these cars - from back in 2002-4. So the first huge set of pictures are all pretty old and of varying quality.

I'd say I had completed about 80% of the work by the time it all stopped - so now to finish them! Part of the delay was the difficulty in scratch making certain parts - I'm not a professional model maker, and do/did not have access to a full workshop - I used what I could at various times. 3D printing will help a huge amount with finishing certain details - like the carbon fibre seats - once I learn how to draw them up in Solidworks.

Ok - that is the long introduction to the build - I'll get on with uploading the stuff now!!

The Kits.

Two of the kits have the old Ford BDR engine at their heart. The JPE has the 2ltr Vauxhall engine modeled.

I need neither - both the cars i am building have k-series rover engines.

The chassis is remarkably accurate. having totally rebuilt my (real) car I can say that you build this kit in almost exactly the same way as the real thing!

Bigkitdetail.jpg

The kit has aluminium panels that fit in the same way as the 1/1 version.

3%20kits.jpg

The shows the Tamiya 1/12 chassis next to the Kyosho 1/18 car and a 1/43 model.

BigSmall1.jpg

Here is the first model I made for someone (these were not 'paid' jobs) using a Kyosho 1/18 model.

How it started:

KyoshoKit.jpg

KyoshoBits_2.jpg

How it ended up:

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

Pretty crude by the standards of most on here! But every detail is like the original car, down to the tax disc...

This also required an 'engine change', from a twincam to a simple crossflow...

(original BDR below)

KyoshoEngine.jpg

Engine-Detail.jpg

BenchSeat.jpg

Right - enough of that old 1/18 stuff!!

Back to the big models....

Superb Augus.... love the job you did on the Kyosho ?

On 06/12/2016 at 5:56 PM, caterhamnut said:

Obviously the wheels are totally different. Kit comes with minilite-style alloys with pretty normal tyres - probably around 14-15"

R500 has 13" wheels, split rims and magnesium hubs, and ACB10 tyres - or slicks.

DSC06478.jpg

Back when I started the kit I got a friend to draw up the wheel centres in 3D CAD

wheel_2.jpg

..and used a fancy milling machine to cut some centers.

machine_1.jpg

wheel_3_1.jpg

wheel_1a.jpg

After testing in metal, we actually made them in styrene.

wheel_1.jpg

Came out great - one of the jobs I have to do now I am restarting these kits is the rest of the wheels - rims and tyres.

Not sure how yet. Probably 3D printer - maybe get some machined...we'll see.

And finally, in order to bring us up to date - the dashboard.

The plastic dash in the kit is nothing like the race car - which has a Stack dash, electrical cut-off switches and knobs etc etc - and of course each car was different.

DSC06321.jpg

So I started by cleaning all the details off the model dash.

DASH.jpg

The with the wonders of photoshop, I made some images of each dash and scaled it to the right size, stick them on the plastic dashes and started to make the detail, using wire, cut plastic tubes etc.

dash2.jpg

dash_3.jpg

dash_2.jpg

dash_1.jpg

And that, my friends, is pretty much where I had got to! One of the big hold ups was how to make the carbon race seats - they are only about 4mm thick in 1/1 scale, and rather curvy. I had no idea how I was going to make them - learn some 3D CAD and use a 3D printer - maybe now, 10 years later, the technology is more accessible.

DSC06485.jpg

The comfy - but old style seat from the kit.

8313f72b-c8b7-4ac7-bef4-ad24e52c6a1e.jpg

So now, 12 years after I started, and about 10 years since I last did anything with them, I am starting again!

Everything from now on is current work!

The big jobs are:

• The seats!
  • wheels & tyres
  • interior
  • decals - lots of race decals

I started with the dash...

Brilliant work and brilliant reference Angus. Perfect ? 

On 10/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, RobinW said:

Brilliant work and brilliant reference Angus. Perfect ? 

Hi Robin - cheers mate - appreciate it - finally got to the next stage so about to start updating again - can I ask a big favour (that is not important in any way) - could you possibly edit your post above to not 'quote' the thread - I keep trying to edit your post :) and it doubles the page length for scrolling lol - hope you don't mind!! cheer :)

Posted (edited)

OK - BACK TO 2019 - another 4 years have passed since I did a bit of work in NYC on the decals and dashboards....but then I had the brick wall of how to make some bits...

In the mean time I had taken up model making again in the States. New skills and techniques mean that I just know I am not going to be able to resist going back and adding more detail to these kits - particularly when it comes to paint finished and washes/panel wash etc.

But the biggest issue was the damn seats.

I've kept up to date with the 'home' 3D printer market, but the FDM printers (the ones that squeeze molten plastic out of a tube - think toothpaste - and build up layers) simply don't have the resolution required. Cheap though - you can pick up a descent kit for £150 - good enough for learning and 'rough' stuff - although actually they are still pretty good now! - and clean...as soon as you start to use resin you have mess, smell, clear-up everytime etc etc..

Resin printers, that use a laser to 'set' UV sensitive resin in very thin layers, are a different level of cost!
You are looking at £2-3k for a good, small model....

....until now! There are now a handful of small printers available for less than £350.

These use a UV emitting LCD screen to 'set' each layer - the resolution (thickness of the layers!) is way higher than any FDM printer - in fact you can even see the pixels of the 2K LCD screen being printed if you really zoom in.

So last week I invested in an Anycubic Photon - a very popular Chinese printer you can get from Amazon. It produces stunning results....

IMG_0442.jpg

It has a small print area, but for the size of parts I want to make, it is fine.

DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE TEMPTED - THE RESULTS YOU CAN GET FROM THIS PRINTER ARE AMAZING! :)

Of course you have to draw the 3D cad files to print - I have access to Solidworks, which I have used in work - but I am not an expert user by any means - I have been drawing boxes and shelves in NYC - so the learning curve to draw a complex shape like a Tillet seat is large!
I thought I'd start with some wheels and tyres - these models have ACB 10 tyres, which have to be the simplest tread to try and draw up as well - result!!

Avon_ACB10_Sport.jpg

So - I worked through some tutorials, and...

IMG_0519.jpg

So on to the first print - the printer comes with some resin to try - in this case, translucent green...out to Dads workshop....

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

BOOM! I was amazed at the results...

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

Moved on to some grey resin...

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

...as I had the file for the central cast hub, I am able to reproduce those as well - lucky as I can't find the plastic sheet with 8 hubs machined onto it from 2003!

So this is a 3 piece wheel:

IMG_0527.jpg

I have to play around with sizes to allow for paint clearance etc - but it works brilliantly.

You can get different types of resin - so I have got some flexible resin to try and make 'real' tyres - I'll have to reduce the wall thickness right down, and make sure I can use pigment on the resin to make it black - as the flex resin is clear - but that is to come. I'l probably use the grey hard resin and spray for now...

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

More updates tomorrow - I'm staying up waaaay too late every night working on this - but it is good to get the modelling MOJO back after 18 mths....

Edited by caterhamnut

Next job was the tillet seats - carbon fibre race seats which are only about 4mm thick in 1/1, and are very curvy.
Now I had the tool to print them, I still had to create the 3D file - youtube solidworks tutorials to the rescure:

seat%201.jpg

Not perfect in terms of 3D drawing, but good enough for my use!

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

UV curing:

IMG_0546.jpg

Had to get the scale right, and played around trying to get the shoulder 'bulge' correct - this had to fit in the model...

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Once I was happy with the size and shape I primed and sprayed black - although the seat was kevlar, so it would be covered with decal and also some fine flocked sheet to represent the fabric on the real thing...

catse83k.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

Fun shape to try and cover!

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Once I had added the kevlar, I thought it looked a bit too yellow, so I sprayed a few layers of Tamiya 'smoke' to darken it a little...much better. Quick coat of satin clear to seal it all up.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Then the self-adhesive flocking material - bugger to get the shape right for the side pieces...

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Most of the rear and lower sides of the seat would not be seen, so I saved materials...still have a few bits to patch up, but overall - done!

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

These seats were the biggest issue to figure out - its only taken 15 years lol

On a mission now, so I also drew up some other parts - the tiny ones like fog lights, rear view race mirrors etc - none of which are correct in the kit for what I need. I also drew up the '7' grill, which printed amazingly - years ago I had tried to resin cast the original wire one that came in one of the Tamiya kits (The VX powered JPE) as I needed more than one, but it was impossible - not now!

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

I had to make another cooling fan for the radiator of the blue car - the yellow one consisted of part of a camera film case, carefully bent wire, carved fan blades etc etc - huge amount of labour. I drew up this one, made the fan separately so I could paint more easily,.

fan.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

I'm currently trying to get the wheel/tyre sizes spot on so I can manufacture those, and am about to start finishing and painting all those parts to assemble...

• Like 1