Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'mosquito'.
Found 1 result
Right - just to be contrary, the first WIP I'm posting here is a military aircraft! All my other ones are automotive - but I succumbed to this kit after seeing reviews and some other builds on forums. I'm treating it as a way to learn some other techniques, and the cockpit on this is my first attempt at weathering - a skill I want to expand to use on some of the older F1 cars. So as it is my first attempt - I'm very much learning. Looking at it now, I need to probably tone it back a bit - a little heavy. Progress will be slow on this - I have not touched it for a year - but may get back to it for variety once I finish the BT52.....so - here we go!! I suspect this model has had a lot of WIP, as it is so new - so I hope another one is ok! Best way to get advice on techniques etc...the skill level on these forums is incredible... Same story as many on here I am sure - used to make models as a kid, getting back into it 35 years later! Less likely to throw the result out of a window, set on fire - and I have an airbrush now! I love this plane, and once I saw a few reviews and pictures of the kit, I thought I'd give it a go...splashed out and give it a go! Going for the Operation Jericho version - incredible story. So far I have worked on the cockpit, so I'll start there... It's a lovely kit - with a LOT of parts!! Some nice historical booklets included, different paint schemes etc... Small number of PE details. Everything goes together very accurately. Fit is superb. Love the ease that this green goes on - test fit of sub-assemblies (seats, instrument panel etc) I've worked on all the 'interior' elements of the main fusalage, again test fitting elements... Apologies - a lot of the pictures are a bit dark - iphone shots, and only time I seem to be able to work on the kits are late night on the dinning room table! I decided to try weathering on this kit - inspired by some of the stuff on this website. It is something I want to try on some of my F1 models (and others) in the future, so figured this would be a good place to try. I'm learning - so forgive the fact that this may look heavy handed compared to the masters on here! I only learnt some tips after starting (like using different paint medium when using washes, or using various clear coat layers - gloss/matt - to facilitate weathering washes etc etc...so I have tried a few things, and re-started on a few parts - but overall I'm pretty chuffed with how it has ended up - so far!! So these are early stages: In the picture above I had used an acrylic wash on acrylic - this of course dried very quickly, so I was unable to 'wipe off' excess...now I know about using a gloss layer, then using a matt layer after.... Adding detail... Much has been written about the PE, decals and clear lenses of the instrument panel on this kit - as this is my first plane model, I cannot compare - but it looks superb! Test fitting: I tried holding the airbrush a little distance away from the PE parts when I sprayed them to simulate a 'crackle' type finish (or at least not full-gloss)