Are you going to build it as a pristine/clean car, or are you going to put any patina to it?

I'm thinking of making mine show a bit of wear, but clean.

17 hours ago, Dino said:

Are you going to build it as a pristine/clean car, or are you going to put any patina to it?

I'm thinking of making mine show a bit of wear, but clean.

Mine will be very clean, maybe a couple of washes here and there to bring out some detail but overall a clean build :)

23 hours ago, SANDRO said:

Just admire and learn, fantastic.

Sandro

Thanks Sandro! This will be back on the bench as soon as my Lotus 78 build is complete!

I'm back on this bad boy for the foreseeable future!!!

I have some new goodies!! I now have an RB Motion Side Pod Kit!!! There are a few missing parts from the kit so hopefully Rob Bentley from RB Motion will be able to resupply those parts, so stay tuned! Here is a couple of photos of the Side Pod Kit, these things are super rare and very very highly detailed, I cant wait to get stuck into it!

IMG_5106.JPG.c4eb9bc06a68e0bd851097d5846af4bf.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG.2201fc82a8a6d2cb92e3592c5236df2a.JPG

And this is where the build stands at the moment, it doesn't look like a whole lot of work but it was!!!

More updates to come very soon!

IMG_5152.JPG

Good to see you back at the bench mate, sadly I'm struggling at present work/life balance is all tipped towards work!

Hopefully get some time this week or weekend with luck.

The power plant looks amazing, looking forward to the rest of the build.  

This looks very good. The laying of the cables and connections is well done. I can not get it that way. I am glad that it continues with a FW14B. I would also like the side pod set. Who would separate from one, please report. Next as before, then this will be a great report with good tips and tricks.

On 17/04/2018 at 4:13 AM, fortyfourpm said:

Nice work. You can see the detail you’ve put in ?

Thanks Dallas!

On 17/04/2018 at 5:14 AM, Dr_Fester said:

Hold on Imster, just pulling up a chair.  Looking forward to what you have planned B|

Doc

Haha Doc, you're awesome mate, your help thus far has been immense!!! I hope when this is finished it will meet your expectations my friend :)

20 hours ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Good to see you back at the bench mate, sadly I'm struggling at present work/life balance is all tipped towards work!

Hopefully get some time this week or weekend with luck.

The power plant looks amazing, looking forward to the rest of the build.  

Thanks Kev! Yes I know that feeling all too well! Sometimes getting back to the bench to begin work is the biggest challenge!

9 hours ago, Martin said:

This looks very good. The laying of the cables and connections is well done. I can not get it that way. I am glad that it continues with a FW14B. I would also like the side pod set. Who would separate from one, please report. Next as before, then this will be a great report with good tips and tricks.

Thanks Martin! When I do cable work I tend to prefer hollow tubes so they naturally drape rather than solid wires which you have to set into position but in some cases you dont have much of a choice. The side pod set is extremely rare but there are rumours that Robert Bentley at RB Motion is working on a new super detail set for the FW14b which will include the side pod parts and possible some new items too!

I figure the full detail set and the sidepod sets will be available about the time I finish my build. lol

I knew that going in, but didn't want to wait any longer.

On 18/04/2018 at 8:45 PM, Dino said:

I figure the full detail set and the sidepod sets will be available about the time I finish my build. lol

I knew that going in, but didn't want to wait any longer.

Yes it might be some time before the full detail set comes out, probably better to get another kit when it does come though :)

I've been making a little bit of progress, I'm not totally sure what the official name of this part is, perhaps a swirl pot for hydraulic fluid? I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along to chime in on the correct terminology!

Apologies for the terrible iPhone photos:

IMG_E5792.JPG.17cb3ffdbb9cccbf52a226ff3a82c0ce.JPGIMG_E5791.JPG.dd747195c3b62c8b108bc3c2e2145c64.JPG

There was a fair bit of prep required for this part, the kit plastic part came in two pieces and the fitment wasn't great so lots of sanding and filling along the seams, then lots of added plumbing to accomodate the extra connections supplied in the RB Motion Side Pod Kit, I must say it looks fantastic with the extra detail and now I must try to figure out how I will do the blue braided hydraulic lines for the active suspension. The ones supplied by Tamiya are way too simplistic and totally the wrong colour.

I am also deciding on what configuration to go for the fuel injectors, the original kit parts are based on the early season version whereas the later season car had the injectors going from the top, photos here to show the difference:

Early version:

_MG_1275.JPG.16f1dde19302f5738c2f0172fc944c73.JPG

Later version:

RS4513.jpg.744d61b826d89eba5a8314df644cec43.jpg

I am still waiting on parts to come from Thunder Valley F1 for the rear dampers so I must wait until they come before doing any further work

20 hours ago, fortyfourpm said:

Could you get some braided line of the correct diameter and paint it? Looks a similar colour to Tamiya XF-8.

Yes thats the plan, I'm just testing different colours to get the right shade, the Tamiya colour is way too light and even XF-8 is too light, I'm thinking about using TS-15 which looks like a better match.

Another update! I wasn't happy with the hydraulic fluid pot that I did about a week ago, plus after looking at more reference it seems like I added connections in the wrong spots. So off to the paint stripping bath it went! I then got rid of all the connections including the Tamiya moulded ones and redid it all with metal tubing, I also added a weld line which goes across diagonally on the pot. 

IMG_6208.JPG.75beadcf2250e49c2b529a8dd5dbe1ac.JPG

I also managed to complete the RB Motion driveshaft outputs, I gotta say they are a work of art and so well designed!

IMG_E6043.JPG.6faaa2f270331dfc1fd83bb4fbc99d92.JPG

I am not working on finishing off the hydraulic fluid pot and getting on with some of the side pod parts. Because I am waiting for parts I am finding that I cannot finish many sections as a result (very frustrating!) lets hope my parts come soon!

• Like 1

The hydraulic tank looks better than the first. The axes are impressive, I'm a bit jealous. I am always looking forward to the next update.

• Like 1

Thanks Martin! Yes I am happy I redid the tank, it is almost completed once again so probably tomorrow I will be able to update on that.

In the meantime I have been working on the sidepods...

On this part I added the weld and connection in the middle of the silver part which I think is a radiator/cooler of some sort, I also added the bottom plate and it will all be held in place by the three rivet bolts you see. The fittings are from the RB Motion side pod kit and they have been painted with clear blue and silver. The wiring is Protech braided line the smallest gauge available, I then used some Tamiya 0.8 wiring, took out the metal wire from inside and threaded it on to the braided line. I still need to add a wash to bring it to life.

IMG_6220.JPG.0d5c6ed082665c79f028ca0537c0950b.JPG

The next part looks like some sort of computer box, I shaved off the moulded parts which mimic the straps and replaced it with the Thunder Valley PE clamps with some very thin rubber as the strap section, the connectors and fittings on the top are from the RB Motion Side Pod kit.

IMG_6224.JPG.8573f684f5ae147b8f5d8a9625efd0af.JPGIMG_6223.JPG.20a7dca9024414d275b767d93e002869.JPG

And a final photo to show the progress thus far, I will be repainting the copper connectors to the correct shade and then add decals etc. The rest of the side pods boxes are still in progress and should hopefully be ready in the next few days

IMG_6225.JPG.8cde4a15f13aeb460426af5fcf03a502.JPG

Thanks for looking and any C&C or questions are most welcome :)

Yes, great !!
The radiator belongs to the damper unit. I also have some Protech hoses at home. They fit very well with this project. I have already provided a folder for notes ;-) You can see that you enjoy the construction.
greetings Martin

• Like 1