Hey all, another update, sorry about the delay!

I'm making more progress with the left hand side pod, I was delayed a fair bit because I was waiting for paint to arrive so I can paint the electrical connectors because the gold colour they come in is way too bright and unrealistic (have a look at my previous post on the previous page to see the original connector colour)

I have also made some modifications to the side pods themselves, I added some layers of the CF which I assume were made thicker to add strength to the side pod section. I made these by cutting thin sheet styrene and glueing it into place then flat sanding it down to the same level as the other raised section that will be where the radiator goes. Once the CF has been applied the glue marks and the general messiness of the work will be covered.

IMG_6332.JPG.b888fdd5248fd337c375e31410e6ea78.JPG

Side pod electrical boxes are all pretty much complete, there are some connectors I am waiting for from RB Motion because the set I was given had a few missing parts which Rob from RB Motion has very graciously offered to replace. Lots of modifications were made to the various boxes such as adding the electrical connectors and creating the real rubber straps, plumbing and wiring still needs to be done but that should be pretty straightforward.

IMG_6554.JPG.69c596f5a7b0548ff500fce13b78a00b.JPG

Now for some (kinda) bad news.......

I may have to put this build on hold for a while again as I have to wait for more parts, and these parts might take a while to be made and delivered to me, its not confirmed yet because I haven't got timelines yet from the people I am waiting on. I might do some more work on this build in the meantime but because I am waiting for items most of the assemblies cannot be completed and there is no worse a feeling than not being able to even complete sub assemblies (its a huge morale killer for me).

I might just begin another kit, possibly MFH but straight up kit and no corrections/additions or modifications, lets see how it goes over the next fews days.... :)

• Like 1

Looks fantastic. The reinforcements at the top are well done. This is going to be a fantastic model.
Martin

• Like 1

Wow imster - you are off to a really great start

excellent work on the engine details

Imster when did you get the RBmotion "pod" detail set?

Also do you remember how much you paid for it?  

Cheers

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, John18D said:

Wow imster - you are off to a really great start

excellent work on the engine details

Imster when did you get the RBmotion "pod" detail set?

Also do you remember how much you paid for it?  

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I was gifted the set from someone under certain conditions, I'm not sure if he is keen to allow me to share his name etc with anyone and I'm not at liberty just yet to explain the why of it too, sorry mate!

As for price I would imagine these sets will be fetching some very high prices nowadays

So the left hand sidepod is 95% complete, I need to finish off the plumbing, add a few connectors and finalise it with a wash to bring out the highlights

The CF I used is Studio 27 FP0002 which is a plain weave for 1/20 scale (I think!) the slightly amber hue of the CF actually matches perfectly with my reference photos, I am hoping and praying that I have enough of this particular CF because Studio27 do not sell this CF anymore and its very difficult to find it anywhere nowadays!

The straps on the various electrical boxes were made with thin rubber strips weaved through Thunder Valley F1 PE buckles. The gold box was especially stubborn, I had to repaint it 4 times as I wasn't happy with the finish I was getting.

I think that about covers it! I don't think there will be another update for a while, it really depends on the parts I am waiting for and whether or not they will come soon or I will have to wait months for them. I will update as I get information :)

IMG_6577.JPG.1c45a6bb793254c71e2d36a13f2b2d75.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG.0fb4c11bdf8f88f4aad27c1fde677d50.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG.cf7325d306ca498d2049a04c7944f8ec.JPG

4 hours ago, imster said:

Thanks John, I was gifted the set from someone under certain conditions, I'm not sure if he is keen to allow me to share his name etc with anyone and I'm not at liberty just yet to explain the why of it too, sorry mate!

As for price I would imagine these sets will be fetching some very high prices nowadays

No problem Imraan, as expected you are making such a better job of it than I ever could!

The RB Motion kit is labelled as a 'sidepod kit' but as you can see with over 650 parts it is so much more than that.  The kits are rare with only 20-30 being manufactured and the one time I did see one for sale it went for over $1000.  Of course you still need the skill on show here to create a masterpiece.

Sorry to hear of the stall Imster but keep plugging away its looking real special.

Doc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr_Fester said:

No problem Imraan, as expected you are making such a better job of it than I ever could!

The RB Motion kit is labelled as a 'sidepod kit' but as you can see with over 650 parts it is so much more than that.  The kits are rare with only 20-30 being manufactured and the one time I did see one for sale it went for over $1000.  Of course you still need the skill on show here to create a masterpiece.

Sorry to hear of the stall Imster but keep plugging away its looking real special.

Doc

@John18D here you have it, it was the Doc @Dr_Fester who sorted the set out to me :)

Yeah I will email you soon @Dr_Fester to fill you in on the reasons for the delays mate

Absolutely gorgeous, al the superlatives are  not enough to describe this!! 

Big thumbs up!!

• Like 1

thanks guys! still not sure whether I will be delayed or for how long, hopefully I will know soon!

Very realistic, the connections and wiring are 1A.
Of course you also need the ability to handle these parts so clean. No matter how long it takes, I'm in it.
Martin

Hey all, final update for a while I think!

The left hand side pod is complete, apologies for the poor iPhone photos!

IMG_6738.JPG.41c0e75fa3c4644072b8320995e4bf36.JPG

IMG_6737.JPG.060356923dd0db52a0ff582cabf9161f.JPG

IMG_6736.JPG.ef072f2bc8b28d844f8d83cfeed17acc.JPG

IMG_6739.JPG.0e7470c13fa72ba4c81a885683a6f623.JPG

• Like 1