Nice work Imster. I like the replacement pipes.

Got this one in the stash to do (002 Hammer Head) so I'm real interested.

• Like 1

Thanks Al :)

I am working on the engine now so some pics will be coming soon but things have ground to a halt because I have run out of wiring for the engine so it might be another week or so before this one is completed.

So this build is finally coming together! As I wrote earlier, I have to wait a little while for some more wiring for the distributor cables on one side of the engine, I managed to get the other side completed though. Lots of work and extra detail was added to the engine, the main thing I left out was creating a connection for the throttle linkage to the engine.

I also finally pulled out the proper camera and took some proper pics although it looks like my camera sensor is dirty and there are some faint black dots on the pics :(

Some detail shots of the dash, seats, harness etc.

DSC07496.JPG

DSC07494.JPG

The tub section, those wires at the front are the brake lines which will be trimmed and attached once the front brakes are installed

DSC07516.JPG

DSC07517.JPG

DSC07519.JPG

DSC07518.JPG

DSC07515.JPG

The engine, the infamous Ford DFV! As you can see only one side is wired up and I only took pics from that side as the other side is incomplete.

DSC07501.JPG

DSC07514.JPG

DSC07507.JPG

I put the exhaust on one side to see if the clearances are correct etc, I am pleased to see that Ebbro were smart with the placement of that unsightly joint as it will be hidden under the driveshafts

DSC07521.JPG

DSC07522.JPG

And finally I joined the two sections together temporarily to see if everything sits correctly DSC07523.JPG

DSC07525.JPG

DSC07524.JPG

Next up is the front and rear uprights and brakes, then I am on the home straight with this one!

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 2

Saw these on FB - really really really nice build, and pics - so clean!

Damn you - more kits to get lol

I'm struggling to get back in the groove after  along break with holidays, foreign travel etc etc.. :(

• Like 1

On 24/01/2017 at 11:19 AM, SANDRO said:

Another fabulous construction, I can not get enough of looking.

Sandro

Thanks Sandro!!

7 hours ago, caterhamnut said:

Saw these on FB - really really really nice build, and pics - so clean!

Damn you - more kits to get lol

I'm struggling to get back in the groove after  along break with holidays, foreign travel etc etc.. :(

Thanks Angus! I gotta say I am really impressed with Ebbro kits, there are some niggles though which I will list when this build is complete but overall and enjoyable kit to build

I am the same, I struggle to get back into building if I have been away for too long. The only solution is to force myself to get on the bench then after a session or two I'm back to being obssessive about it all lol. The other solution is to go 'shopping' for kits and supplies :P

Thanks guys! Almost finished with this build!

I managed to complete the rear brakes and also parts of the rear linkages and suspension, I also added the left hand side exhaust, I am still waiting for the wiring to complete the engine. Apologies for the dark pics, my camera's white balance was out of whack :(

DSC07528.JPG

DSC07530.JPG

DSC07527.JPG

Next I finished off the front end by adding the brakes and brake lines. Once that was complete I decided to attach the engine to the monocoque. 

DSC07537.JPG

DSC07538.JPG

DSC07533.JPG

DSC07536.JPG

DSC07534.JPG

I then began working on the radiators at the rear of the car, I decided to add the plumbing as the rear end looks a little bit bare without it. I also completed the rear sway bar and linkages

DSC07545.JPG

DSC07540.JPG

DSC07541.JPG

DSC07544.JPG

After that I began on the wheels. Rather than go for the black suggested in the instructions, the rims are actually less black and more brownish/black (based on my reference pics), I added air valves and then sanded the tyres down to get rid of the seam and shine on the grip surface. I found that the rubber went white and pale when it was sanded, so to bring back the depth of the rubber I used a black oil wash.

DSC075461.jpg

Now I am definitely on the home straight! Just gotta wait for the wiring to come and complete the rear wing and the rear bottle and she will be done!

Here is how it all looks now

DSC07547.JPG

Thanks for looking and any C&C is most welcome :)

It is finished! Total build time was just under a month, which is great for me considering the amount of extra detail and scratchbuilding that was added to this project.

DSC07552.JPG

I hope you have all enjoyed this WIP, there were very few problems I came across with this build. Most of the problems came about because I had added lots of details which caused very minor fitment issues here and there. Overall I am pleased with this build and generally impressed with how Ebbro have designed this kit.

Here is the link to the final pics: Tyrrell Ford 003

As usual here are some pointers for anyone looking to do this kit in the future
- The Zero Paints Tyrrell Blue is a great colour match, if you are going to build this I highly suggest using it.

- The fitment of all parts is extremely tight, check and double check fitment of all parts before glueing. In light of this you must also keep an eye on the fitment of the cowling sections, I had to scrape most of the paint off where the parts join because of the tight clearances

- Use epoxy to hold the cowling section with the cockpit section. You want the strongest bond possible for this section as throughout the build it is put under lots of pressure (twisting and pulling, etc)

- If you decide to add cabling and wiring from the dash to the rear of the car then you will not be able to fit the top body cover on unless you do heavy modifications.

- The only part I found that Ebbro didn't do well was the suspension linkages, mainly the clip parts, they are done the same way regardless if the clip is on the right hand side or left hand side

- Double check the fitment of the front windscreen, mine was warped pretty badly and didnt fit at all

- If you are using the kit decals then be patient with the decals that need to cover curved sections (the white circle backgrounds for the car number on the side of the cowling is the perfect example). Work the decals slowly, use lots of microsol and use a heat gun so that you are able to stretch the decal and manipulate it.

I think that covers it!

As you all may or may not know I have begun commission building cars and motorbikes. This project is up for sale as is any of my past builds too.

If you are Facebook, please follow my page Malik Model Art which is the name of my new business:

Malik Model Art Round Logo Final.jpg

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 2:53 AM, fortyfourpm said:

Beautiful build - and possibly one of your fastest!

Yes for a detailed build it was my fastest, but for an OOB build I can probably push em out at about a week at a time, but whats the fun in rushing right?

18 minutes ago, imster said:

Yes for a detailed build it was my fastest, but for an OOB build I can probably push em out at about a week at a time, but whats the fun in rushing right?

Totally agree! I never look at how long a build takes me, or really set myself deadlines. It's a hobby to be enjoyed so I take my time with them. 

Its also cheaper ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, robrex said:

Absolutely stunning replica! Hats off to you. The finished model looks superb!

Thanks buddy!

On 10/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, Kev The Modeller said:

This is a nice kit, not looked at Ebbro or this scale before are they all of this standard?

I've got quite a few Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits in my stash too.  

Yes Ebbro are great kits and dare I say in some aspects better than Tamiya.

Do you have the 1/12 Tamiya Tyrell 003?

5 hours ago, imster said:

Yes Ebbro are great kits and dare I say in some aspects better than Tamiya.

Do you have the 1/12 Tamiya Tyrell 003?

Yes I've got the 1.12 Tamiya Tyrell 003 and the P34.  I've got a few Tamiya 1/12 kits: -

Honda RA273

Lotus Type 49 1967

Lotus Type 49B 1968

Matra MS11

Tyrell 003

Brabham BT44  

They're original 60's & 70's kits.  I picked them up years ago off EBay and dealers when I was thinking of getting back into modelling, I didn't until almost 2 years ago and that was with armour, but very recently I've really got back into bikes/cars.  I got the P34 only recently but it's new or rather a reissue with PE, got my eye on Renault RE-20 Turbo & Texaco Marlbror M23.

• Like 1