Jump to content
Drew

Tamiya Ferrari f189 N.Mansell

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, 

This is my first WIP on this forum.

I felt like building something other than  a bike and just wanted to do something OOB. 

I like the early Formula 1 cars but have only built 2 kits previously so don't have a lot of experience with them. 

 

DSC_0565.JPG

 

DSC_0564.JPG

 

DSC_0566.JPG

 

DSC_0568.JPG

 

DSC_0570.JPG

 

I picked this kit up on ebay for $5 a few years ago. The seller said it had been started and they lost interest in the kit. 

I think because they missed a few steps in the instructions and couldn't figure out how to fix it. All parts are in the box which is a bonus. And the decals look perfect. 

The engine and side body panels were not done in the right order. The engine has been glued together without the side panels being finished and installed before parts of the suspension. 

 

DSC_0572.JPG

 

DSC_0576.JPG

 

Luckily with a little bit of persuasion they can be installed afterwards. 

 

DSC_0575.JPG

 

So far I have just been doing dry fit and getting rid of any ejection marks that will be visible. 

 

DSC_0574.JPG

 

I will have this one displayed with Nigel in the driver's seat, so won't be going overboard with details because the bodywork will be on. So this will be a pretty straight forward build. 

I did think about using some cf decals, but think I will just use semi gloss black. 

 

Thanks for checking it out, I hope to have some more progress pics soon. 

 

Drew.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks mate, I hope to be able to get this one done without many problems. 

I have read that there is a body fit issue with this kit, has anybody built it and got any pointers ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice start drew and indeed at 5$ it's a steal. I haven't built this kit myself but I have heard about fit issues with the Ferrari 189 Hasegawa kit, so perhaps there are some fit issues but it's not clear on which kit? I hope that the Tammy kit goes together well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maximum warp said:

Nice start drew and indeed at 5$ it's a steal. I haven't built this kit myself but I have heard about fit issues with the Ferrari 189 Hasegawa kit, so perhaps there are some fit issues but it's not clear on which kit? I hope that the Tammy kit goes together well!

 

Thanks mate. I agree that I got a real bargain! I hope not to have any fit issues.

 

Been working on this on and off today, needing to take a break every half hour or so due to an elbow injury.

 

Fill, sand, repeat... 

DSC_0580.JPG

 

Then got the body in primer and sanded down some imperfections. 

DSC_0581.JPG

 

Now the body has a coat of white base which will be left overnight to cure properly before sanding down again with some 2000 grit wet and dry. Then I will do another base coat before Zero paints Italian Red. 

DSC_0583.JPG

 

I'm not happy with the current base coat. It appears to have reacted with the primer for some reason... Never had this issue with Zero paints before. I think that I maybe didn't leave it long enough between the primer and base coats...?

 

DSC_0582.JPG

 

Anyway that's all for tonight. 

 

Thanks for looking. 

 

Drew. 

 

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back with another quick update. 

 

Being unable to sleep, even with heavy pain meds, I decided to get out of bed and back to the workbench for a little while. 

 

I was thinking about using Zero Italian Red but was concerned about how the white ground coat from Zero gave me problems... And I purchased the two paints around the same time. 

 

So after some thought I decided to go with Mr Hobby super Italian Red. I thinned it with a little bit of self levelling thinner and am very satisfied with the result. 

 

DSC_0587.JPG

 

So now all the bodywork has been painted and is going to be left to dry before getting a polish and decals. 

 

DSC_0586.JPG

 

Thanks for looking. 

 

Drew 

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be progressing rather quickly with this build.

Most of the decals are finished on the main body and out drying in the sun.

 

DSC_0589.JPG

 

Later on today I will be spraying a lot of semi gloss black for the remainder of the car. Not many colours used on this, But that is also because it will be all closed up and nothing besides the radiators will be visible once the body is on. Then I'll be doing my best to paint the driver figure. 

 

Thanks for looking. 

 

Drew 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice choice for your build Drew, I think building this will get you back into building more often and perhaps back on the motorbikes too :)

 

Nice finish on the bodypanels and you are very luck with those decals, I have this kit and the decals are totally knackered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Imraan,  I have been enjoying this build so far. Am waiting for a motojig to arrive before I go back to building a bike. 

 

The decals have actually been rather challenging... Extremely brittle.

Even though they looked perfect on the sheet. I am a bit nervous about the clear coat and how much silvering I will be looking at afterwards. I guess I won't know until the clear coat has been finished. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been progressing slowly with the Ferrari. The bodywork and chassis parts are completed, with the bodywork only needing a coat of clear. Rear wing and front wing are ready for decals and clear, and then parts can be glued together. 

 

(sorry about the poor quality photos) 

 

_20170130_092955.JPG

 

_20170130_091857.JPG

 

_20170130_093652.JPG

 

The thing about ebay specials and started kits is that sometimes not all parts are in the box... 

The engine and rear suspension parts had been previously assembled, and the front suspension parts had been removed from the sprue as well. Somewhere there are the front and rear hub assemblies (disc rotors in this case) and also the drive shafts... Unfortunately they are not in the box of bits that I have on the workbench. 

So I need to make some new rotors and figure out how to fit them to the existing parts. Luckily there are front and rear brake covers that will hide the replacement items. 

Hopefully I will have some progress news soon. 

 

Thanks for looking. 

 

Drew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's looking great so far Drew! Drive shafts could be easily replaced by brass or aluminium tube. Brake rotors can probably be found as aftermarket items, the only difficult part would be the uprights to which the brake rotors fit...perhapa try to scavenge some parts from another kit?

I hope your elbow is getting better in the meantime...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Maximum warp said:

It's looking great so far Drew! Drive shafts could be easily replaced by brass or aluminium tube. Brake rotors can probably be found as aftermarket items, the only difficult part would be the uprights to which the brake rotors fit...perhapa try to scavenge some parts from another kit?

I hope your elbow is getting better in the meantime...

 

Thanks mate, 

 

I agree that the drive shafts shouldn't be a problem to make. Might actually make the model look a bit better using brass tube. 

I am a bit stuck with what direction to take with fitting the wheels. I could probably get a set of aftermarket rotors, but I may machine some myself first and see how they look. I should be able to make some calipers out of some left over material. They will be fairly well hidden so detail shouldn't be a problem. Fitting them to the brake shroud should be fairly straight forward I hope... 

I have a few other Tamiya F1 kits to have a look at and copy the original design. 

 

Elbow is getting there. Still in a fair enough of pain, but am refusing to take the pain killers because they were making me sick and not getting much sleep. So just waiting to see what the doctor has to say. 

Just not happy I will be missing out on racing the bike in a few weeks!! :-( 

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, imster said:

Good luck with getting a fix for the front hubs! I wouldnt have a clue how to do that

 

Thanks mate, I have been tossing up a few ideas, and probably will machine up some new rotors for the job. 

Some progress soon I hope :-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drew said:

 

Thanks mate, 

 

I agree that the drive shafts shouldn't be a problem to make. Might actually make the model look a bit better using brass tube. 

I am a bit stuck with what direction to take with fitting the wheels. I could probably get a set of aftermarket rotors, but I may machine some myself first and see how they look. I should be able to make some calipers out of some left over material. They will be fairly well hidden so detail shouldn't be a problem. Fitting them to the brake shroud should be fairly straight forward I hope... 

I have a few other Tamiya F1 kits to have a look at and copy the original design. 

 

Elbow is getting there. Still in a fair enough of pain, but am refusing to take the pain killers because they were making me sick and not getting much sleep. So just waiting to see what the doctor has to say. 

Just not happy I will be missing out on racing the bike in a few weeks!! :-( 

 

Andrew, ask your doctor if you can get Targin instead of Endone, its a slow release painkiller that doesnt have the adverse effects that Endone causes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info Imraan. I will definitely be asking about that. 

Endone is a serious drug, and I definitely don't want to be using it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Drew said:

Thanks for the info Imraan. I will definitely be asking about that. 

Endone is a serious drug, and I definitely don't want to be using it. 

 

Yeah, when i broke my shoulder the pain was pretty unbearable. I used to be on Endone as well as Targin, but the Endone really made me feel ill and moody not to mention the indigestion, hot flashes and nausea!! My wife is a GP so she is the one who suggested Targin as its less of a hit so easier to wean yourself off and the adverse feelings are gone too, the only thing it doesnt give a strong painkill hit like Endone does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.