fortyfourpm

AMT VW Scirocco

I've decided to make a start on this as my next project. My wife got the kit as an anniversary present last year, as I had one of these when we got married and it's what we drove home in after the reception. Unfortunately, her not knowing a lot about cars the kit is a mk1 and I had a mk2. There are a few differences between the kit and the one I had so I will try and correct where possible. It won't be exact as there are too many differences overall, including the body shape. He mk2 was sleeker looking and less boxy. Here is a stock image off the net to show what my 1:1 was like, although mine had different wheels.

IMG_3812.JPG

You can see the difference from the box art:

IMG_3810.JPG

Lastly for now, a shot of the sprues on the bench. 

IMG_3811.JPG

Any modifications i make I will try and show in the progress.

• Like 1

Starting with the bodywork front end - not looking good! I think this kit is going to take a lot of work. This isn't even close!

IMG_3813.JPG

I'm going to get rid of the side indicators and also lower the raised part once I've got the splash pans attached.

You can see there's a lot of flash to clean up as well all over the body.

IMG_3814.JPG

• Like 1

Subscribed!!!

Looks like you have your hands full with this one, youre a braver man than me Dallas!

Thanks Imster. I've heard horror stories about AMT kits so have always stayed away from them in the past. I don't have a lot of choice with this one though, so will do the best I can with it.

• Like 1

Made a start on the sides today. You can see in the second picture the thick moulded lip which isn't there on the mk2 so it all needs sanding down.

IMG_3816.JPG

other side for comparison

IMG_3815.JPG

Then the second side done

IMG_3817.JPG

then on to the back. Mk2 is much smoother and rounded so that all needs reshaping. I started by cutting down from the window, shortening the panel and the reattached at an inward angle like the 1:1

IMG_3818.JPG

in progress

IMG_3819.JPG

• Like 1

More progress this weekend, but slow going.

I found this picture that show the side profiles of both mk1 and mk2 together. You can see the rear windows are completely different, so this was the next area I started to address.

IMG_0572.JPG

Before commencing. I've drawn out the area to be removed:

IMG_3824.JPG

After cutting:

IMG_3825.JPG

and the other side:

IMG_3823.JPG

I'm now working on rebuilding the window frames, which will be the next update.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Maximum warp said:

Wow, some major surgery going on here! How do you plan to replicate the window rubbers? 

I was going to get some thinner styrene to wrap around it. I though I already had some, but I've only got .5mm so need to get some more in different sizes.

I'm going to build up the frames with sheet styrene first and get the shape. I'm hoping doing it this way will give me an edge I can use for masking as well. My ideas often surpass my skill though, so let's see how it goes ?

• Like 1

Just a small update on progress. I've finished making the rough frames from styrene. Now for some filling and sanding to tidy them up and get them looking a bit neater and smoother.

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

still plenty of work to go.

• Like 1