Dino

Detailed 1/12 Williams FW14B

Building the Tamiya FW14B is not as straight forward as you might think for the almighty kit company. The mold lines are quite heavy and the construction of the kit around the monocoque area leaves a lot to be desired as far as trying to build it reasonably close to the real car. Not to mention the use of screws, and missing and/or incorrect detail. With that said, I'm not going to pretend I will build it 100% accurate, I will take the usual artistic approach as an excuse to do some aspects of it as I see fit.

I will be using Thunder Valley, RB Motion, Top Studio and Tuner Model Manufactory parts. To start off it's prep, prep and more prep!

A lot of drilling done around the engine and trans to accept fittings.

fw14b8.jpg.b20667f2b4a217c930b1e88a1425f51b.jpg

Filling all the visible pin marks is a must.

fw14b14.jpg.6869cdf86d542eb2ca2a0f5946c826de.jpg

Tamiya didn't make enough marks for enough fasteners as the real car has more than they indicated, so I drilled more in the engine cover and closed up the screw holes to drill to the proper size. Three hours work just in the engine cover drilling, smoothing mold lines and taking care of the pin marks inside the cover.

fw14b10.jpg.2bea45528442b491165bef70d7aaeba3.jpg

Placing the body parts together then sanding across the joining areas is a good way to make the body parts look like they are a precision fit. The white cowl part in front of the driver has to be molded into the monocoque, the tricky part is all the suspension attachments are under there and have to be accessed. Stay tuned for my solution.

fw14b15.jpg.147246e3fa6a6889e59840767471b5c2.jpg

• Like 1

I won't be displaying with the wheels off so I am detailing the kit brakes and calipers with fittings. I have filled the seam of the brake haves and cleaned up the cooling holes....just in case I do take a wheel off, I won't be embarrassed.

fw14b11.jpg.79738c5743dfe0accf58e434024156cc.jpg

• Like 2

Dino, I'm so pleased you have decided to post this build here! I think you are on your way to making one hell of a FW14b and it looks like you are very particular about the details too.

I havent even begun to look at the cowling and bodywork on mine but I will use your work as inspiration for mine, we can both help each other and motivate each other too (once I get back onto my build lol)

4 hours ago, imster said:

Dino, I'm so pleased you have decided to post this build here! I think you are on your way to making one hell of a FW14b and it looks like you are very particular about the details too.

I havent even begun to look at the cowling and bodywork on mine but I will use your work as inspiration for mine, we can both help each other and motivate each other too (once I get back onto my build lol)

Thanks, boss! Together we will prevail!

• Like 1

Got engine/gearbox painted. On the engine I used two layers of Alclad metalizer over black primer because I didn't wan't the bright aluminum look. The gearbox is a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics in order to make a dark brownish color.fweng4.jpg.aba851784e5d089e130768627583d3c7.jpg

fweng5.jpg.7d73d917d1e3a0d223b37f004f7acefe.jpg

Added missing connectors to the spark plug cover.

fweng6.jpg.0810504fd55446291005f5510371ef0a.jpg

I sprayed the etch parts that go on the gearbox with Alclad Aluminum Plate polishing type so those areas would resemble machined surfaces.

fwetch1.jpg.55d82fc690ad1d0c8d14f8706d89a7c5.jpg

I decided to use the Top Studio rear axle kit for the MP4/6, it isn't correct of course, but I don't have machining skills to make something as exciting. I painted in colors more in line with what's on the Williams.

fwaxle1.jpg.d76d0fa9babc64fd84e0bfea262a6dda.jpg

• Like 1

Got some more fittings into this assembly. I will tone down the header flanges to take away some of the brightness before the headers go on.

fweng8.jpg.182bd26eb39126c57dac9df0ae2b7be1.jpg

Great start. With the whole accessory that will be a very nice model. I am not ready to build my whole accessories yet. I'm looking forward to far-reaching progress.

Martin

Got some more hardware put to the engine and gearbox as well as a few small decals.

fweng8.jpg.96d4f5ed641d5497ff05ebcb0844c5e6.jpg

fweng10.jpg.b7f95c8049fa185bb2a712c660e35fd8.jpg

I noticed there were some thicker areas in the base of the air snorkel where the fasteners go to seal it to the injector tray so I added some thin plastic pieces, and drilled for the fastener. These sections are embedded into the carbon fiber.

fweng11.jpg.e86ed05c40d32a4f583221aea383b805.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, imster said:

looking really good Dino! The air intake looks great, is it Carbon Fiber used on it?

No, that's just gloss black paint for base. CF goes on next.

Dino what did you use for your dullcoat? I usually use Mr Hobby but perhaps you use a better one...

2 hours ago, imster said:

Dino what did you use for your dullcoat? I usually use Mr Hobby but perhaps you use a better one...

I use Mr. Hobby B503.

• Like 1

Looks beautiful so far D !  As someone who has researched this beast way too much everything looks spot on so far.

Between yours and Imster's build I'm not sure I will ever have the courage to show mine here.

Looking forward to the progress.

Doc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dr_Fester said:

Looks beautiful so far D !  As someone who has researched this beast way too much everything looks spot on so far.

Between yours and Imster's build I'm not sure I will ever have the courage to show mine here.

Looking forward to the progress.

Doc

I'm getting analysis paralysis trying to decide which details to put in, and what to leave out. I can't do them all, I have but one life to live. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John18D said:

Any updates to this awesome build D ??

Cheers

John

Soon, took a little break to build an artsy project. Thanks for checking!