Jump to content

Lotus 43 BRM, Jim Clark, 1966 US GP Watkins Glen. MFH 1/20.


Recommended Posts

Good evening,

British Racing Green is in the spotlight!
I love this magnificent little F1: Thin, racy, equipped with a BRM engine with an unusual architecture (it's an H16) ... and it's a Lotus!
The kit is really superb and the assembly is one of the smartest I have ever seen.
So I started this build on November 21 ... with an end goal for early 2021.
 
b233b010.jpg
 
There will be some rivets to install...
The bodywork elements are all drilled to accommodate the riveting in 0.5 and 0.4.
Part of the assembly is secured by screws; the holes are drilled and tapped at 1.4.
The underside of the chassis is stripped of the embossed Classic Team Lotus logo and a die-cut aluminum foil for the new flat bottom.

a55e2c10.jpg

899c7d10.jpg

157d8c10.jpg

e4842d10.jpg

fe4f1f10.jpg

After the blank assembly of the hull, I immediately proceeded to cut the thermoformed windshields: I will be quieter during the final assembly.

d13b8e10.jpg

The start of the construction of the engine validates the correct installation of its support on the frame, among other things.
I take this opportunity to make all the holes intended to receive all the accessories and equipment of the 16 cylinders.
I took 2 piston / connecting rod assemblies from the engine for a (maybe) later use.

c8dcb810.jpg

0339ba10.jpg

8ca0c110.jpg

ce74aa10.jpg

e9b01410.jpg

4aa88310.jpg

Several painting sessions have been carried out today.
We also had to keep the engine running a bit and move the gearbox and clutch forward.
A few changes are being made to this set and more are coming.
 
Otherwise, a lot of tests, adjustments, preparation for the assemblies to come ...

78816910.jpg

079bbe10.jpg

e6eb6910.jpg

c8167910.jpg

0754bc10.jpg

53f5f310.jpg

I did a test on one of the proposed cam cover versions and a test on the engine ...
I will use the other, equipped with an engraved and riveted plate, the red version may be useful for a small presentation.
I started connecting the ignition circuit on the lower benches and validated the assembly of the box components.
I like the color, obtained by mixing, but will certainly be worked on a bit.

75cc3a10.jpg

5a7f0310.jpg

4b6b8010.jpg

bc685d10.jpg

1a932910.jpg

53f5f310.jpg

Small comparison with his little sister:
the Type 43 is wider, but thinner on its front part than the Lotus 49.

c0f05a10.jpg

49266410.jpg

I focused on the hull and the interior.
A little riveting, the hull will be finished later.
I decided to use slightly more rounded heads for the cockpit in order to highlight them more due to their location; a kind of scale effect what.
Those of the hull are of the same diameter, 0.5mm, but flatter. The engine support reinforcements will be 0.4.
 
The cockpit was then primed, painted and worked with oils and the dashboard detailed on both sides.
A vintage photo allowed me to perfect its decoration and put the news in the “Dymo” strip.
 
The gear lever is detailed with a machined bolt and its washer, its pommel painted in acrylic and oil then dressed with its Lotus logo.
It will receive a light touch of varnish tomorrow.
 
Some pictures to illustrate my point:


3ee81610.jpg

6222f710.jpg

0a5f1710.jpg

46509410.jpg

5d4da210.jpg

f2084e10.jpg

923e9c10.jpg

cc4f8510.jpg

0aa35d10.jpg

b2ef7310.jpg

Solder for the front tank
Parts primed.

7c66a310.jpg

b9b06210.jpg

b5dd7e10.jpg

Red, Grey and Green.
Enamel, acrylic & polyurethane.

f3b14d10.jpg

644ce710.jpg

I have finished riveting the hull, except for the central part which will be after painting.
I have done a little work on the part of the engine that will remain visible.
the other side will be equipped with the scoop.

91c93710.jpg

fe356610.jpg

3dce5410.jpg

6dad1710.jpg

The engine is almost finished.
As expected, the right side is a little less detailed than the left as it will be fitted with the large intake scoop.
I still installed the injection tubes without connecting them to the pump: we can't see anything anyway...
Two options are available for the scoops: White Metal (without installing the cones) or thermoformed, very thin to install on a "bracket" located between the cones.
 
The Lucas identification plates (Superb!) Are transferred onto an extremely thin sheet of aluminum.
 
The upper cam covers have been changed, as planned there too, and fitted with the BRM plates engraved as in reality.
Red paint is diffused by capillary with a fine brush.
 
Other parts are prepared and then primed.


f7f8da10.jpg

46e2e110.jpg

28d62610.jpg

1e7b0d10.jpg

2b3e0c10.jpg

e1b42d10.jpg

Voilà.
More soon.

Pascal

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening,

 

Thank you very much Mueller ;)

 

The assembly continues with a painting session.
Titanium white then Lotus yellow.
I photocopied the decal  sheet onto a Kabuki Tamiya mask sheet.
The copy of the yellow decals is cut and then used to mask the yellow.
Then, British Racing Green and unmask.

 

d729ca10.jpg

 

89183b10.jpg

 

dafa5c10.jpg

 

8ff04f10.jpg

 

82690a10.jpg

 

6a735710.jpg

 

8ce3ee10.jpg

 

The engine will be able to be equipped with its filter.

0a789810.jpg

 

Seam lines removed.

 

8b417910.jpg

 

More soon.

Pascal

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.