Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'r500'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Welcome
    • Site Announcements
    • Posting Guidelines
    • New Member's Introduction Area
    • FAQ's
  • Aircraft (Non-Military)
    • Aircraft: WIP
    • Aircraft: Completed Works
  • Military
    • Aircraft: WIP
    • Aircraft: Completed Works
    • Military Vehicles: WIP
    • Military Vehicles: Completed Works
    • Ships: WIP
    • Ships: Completed Works
  • Automotive
    • Automotive WIP: Racing Cars
    • Automotive WIP: Streetcars
    • Automotive: Completed Works
    • Motorcycles: WIP
    • Motorcycles: Completed Works
  • Ships (Non-Military)
    • Ships: WIP
    • Ships: Completed Works
  • Dioramas
    • Dioramas: WIP
    • Dioramas: Completed Works
  • Sci-Fi, Space and Fantasy
    • SSF: WIP
    • SSF: Completed Works
  • Figures
    • Figures: WIP
    • Figures: Completed Works
  • Tips/Tricks
    • Photography
    • Aftermarket Parts
    • Tutorials
    • Scratchbuilding
    • Tools
    • Decals
    • Techniques
    • Painting/Weathering
  • Reference
    • Shows

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



About Me

Found 1 result

  1. Ok - I *think* this is a race car, although very much based on a road car!! Please feel free to move if it is better on the 'street' forum! By the way - if something does not make sense in terms of order, it is probably because I'm replying to a question that had popped up on the original WIP.... I'm starting a number of WIP's at the same time as I need to start somewhere with uploading lots of pictures - then when I get to update the models it becomes easier to update in 'real time'! This project started over 12 years ago! I was inbetween jobs (briefly) and had started to dabble with Caterham models - I got my real Caterham in about 2001, hence the connection. I was tweaking existing diecasts (Kyosho 1/18) for friends, and cut a long story short, a fellow 7'ner - who raced them - got in touch and 'commissioned' models of his two race cars - but we decided to use the Tamiya 1/12 kits as a base. These are stunning in terms of detail - almost built exactly like the real car - indeed I heard that the tooling for these kits were the most expensive Tamiya had made (no ide if that is true) - but the boss had one and wanted to make a kit. The kits are silly money now - really wish they would re-issue. They made three - the one above, a JPE special (the luminous yellow one) and a more traditional looking car with flared wings. One very cold day in 2002 I went up to Snetterton race track to have some rides and take lots of photos of the two cars, to use as reference in making the kits. I made a good start on the kits, and was able to use the workshop at the design consultancy where I was working (after the break) The real life took over - I got the next full time job, and time seemed to pass...until it was over a decade since I started the kits! In that time I moved a few times, and am now in New York. Ironically now that I am based in NYC, I am obviously not able to use my Caterham in the UK - and all that that 'scene' entails - so suddenly I have some more time again - so after gradually bringing all the kits over to the States each time I traveled, I now have everything over here. With more disposable income than back then, I'm getting back into modelling - got an airbrush now - another big difference from back then is the availability of so many 'detail' kits in terms of carbon finishes etc - the internet has made this all much easier! So now I have started on these kits again, I thought I'd post a WIP to encourage myself to update regularly. But first I'll cover the 'first stage' of these cars - from back in 2002-4. So the first huge set of pictures are all pretty old and of varying quality. I'd say I had completed about 80% of the work by the time it all stopped - so now to finish them! Part of the delay was the difficulty in scratch making certain parts - I'm not a professional model maker, and do/did not have access to a full workshop - I used what I could at various times. 3D printing will help a huge amount with finishing certain details - like the carbon fibre seats - once I learn how to draw them up in Solidworks. Ok - that is the long introduction to the build - I'll get on with uploading the stuff now!! The Kits. Two of the kits have the old Ford BDR engine at their heart. The JPE has the 2ltr Vauxhall engine modeled. I need neither - both the cars i am building have k-series rover engines. The chassis is remarkably accurate. having totally rebuilt my (real) car I can say that you build this kit in almost exactly the same way as the real thing! The kit has aluminium panels that fit in the same way as the 1/1 version. The shows the Tamiya 1/12 chassis next to the Kyosho 1/18 car and a 1/43 model. Here is the first model I made for someone (these were not 'paid' jobs) using a Kyosho 1/18 model. How it started: How it ended up: Pretty crude by the standards of most on here! But every detail is like the original car, down to the tax disc... This also required an 'engine change', from a twincam to a simple crossflow... (original BDR below) Right - enough of that old 1/18 stuff!! Back to the big models....
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.